CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 2, 2010

Yesterday my husband and I ventured to Columbus for the day since my parents had the kids camping. We decided to do some investigation into a few cupcake bakeries to help get mine up and running. The first place we visited was the Pink Moon Cupcake Bakery. It was a quaint little shop and very customer oriented. They serve four regular cupcakes every day of the week in addition to a combination of different flavored cupcakes. Check out their menu. The cupcakes were light and moist. The frosting was very light and melted in your mouth. I think my favorite was the blueberry which had fresh blueberries in the cake itself.
The next one we visited was Sugar Inc. The owner was featured on the local news channel that I had watched, so we went to check it out. The shop has a very modern feel to it, but I love the cases she puts the cupcakes in along with the robin blue painted walls. All her cupcakes are organic, plus there were gluten-free ones as well. There were not very many to choose from. As for the taste, they were not as sweet and it would probably take some use getting to.

Finally just next door was Our Cupcakery. This little shop was attached to a coffee shop which was the only place to sit. It was a little cramped in there. The owner was not very customer oriented, because when I asked for one of each of the mini cupcakes she looked at me kinda funny. I do not think she knew what to do. As for the flavor of the month there was no advertisement in the shop like there is on their site. The only thing that I liked was the cupcake bar, where you could decorate your own cupcake with sprinkles, m and m's, jimmies, etc. I think they cater to more of weddings, parties, and classes. This was the least favorite of the tastings.

I have now decided that simple is best, such as what the Pink Moon does. There is still a lot to do before I can even think to get this business off the ground. For now I will keep testing out recipes that are simple and good tasting. I will still take orders for cupcakes and special occasion cakes. Now on to see what it costs to rent a place, get a license, ingredient cost, and so on. I hope it will all come together one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment